During my visit to Mexico, Playa del Carmen, 17-31.1.2010, I visited many attractions and took several hundred photos. These excursions shall be presented in alphabetical order, however Playa del Carmen shall be first.
MEXICO Estados Unidos Mexicanos (The United Mexican States)
|* aboutplayadelcarmen.com||* Maya Ruins||* Sian Ka’an Bio Reserve|
|* Akumal||* Playacar tourist district||* Tulum|
|* Cenotes in Mexico||* Playa del Carmen Ferries||* Valladolid|
|* Cozumel||* Riviera Maya||* Xaman Ha aviary|
|* Yucatan Peninsula|
Playa del Carmen Travel Guide is designed to give you a well-rounded orientation of this beautiful city.
|* Accommodations||* Festival||* Nightlife|
|* Activities||* Food & Drink||* Parks|
|* Beaches||* Geography||* Shopping|
|* Culture||* History||* Spas & Gyms|
|* Excursions||* Itineraries||* Travel Information|
CHICHEN ITZA is a large pre-Columbian archaeological site built by the Maya civilization located in the northern center of the Yucatán Peninsula, in the Yucatán state, present-day Mexico (El Castillo-Kukulcan Temple).
COBA is a large ruined city of the pre-Columbian Maya civilization, located in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. It is located about 90 km east of the Maya site of Chichen Itza, about 40 km west of the Caribbean Sea, and 44 km northwest of the site of Tulum, with which it is connected by a modern road. Riviera Maya Cenotes (a natural freshwater jungle oasis).
COZUMEL (Mayan: Island of the Swallows) is an island in the Caribbean Sea off the eastern coast of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, opposite the Playa del Carmen, and close to the Yucatan Channel. Cozumel is one of the nine municipalities (municipios) of the state of Quintana Roo. Cozumel is a tourist destination for its scuba diving and snorkeling. The main town on the island is San Miguel de Cozumel.
ISLA MUJERES (the Island of Women) is located just eight miles across the Bahia de Mujeres (Bay of Women) from Cancun. The island is some 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) long and 650 metres (2,100 ft) wide with a downtown area of just four by six blocks. In the 2005 census, the town had a population of 11,147. Isla Mujeres is a fishing village and though it is now discovered by tourists it still retains it’s charm and tranquil atmosphere (homepage, photogallery).
TULUM is the site of a Pre-Columbian Maya walled city serving as a major port for Cobá. The ruins are located on 12-meter (39 ft) cliffs, along the east coast of the Yucatán Peninsula on the Caribbean Sea in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. One of the best-preserved coastal Maya sites, Tulum is today a popular site for tourists.
XCARET ECO PARK is a Maya civilization archaeological site located on the Caribbean coastline of the Yucatán Peninsula, in the modern-day state of Quintana Roo in Mexico. The site was occupied by the pre-Columbian Maya and functioned as a port for navigation and an important Maya trading center. Some of the site’s original structures are contained within a modern-day tourism development, the privately owned Xcaret Eco Park (Xcaret homepage).
ZOO CROCOCUN – ecological crocodile farm and other native animals
OTHER ATTRACTIONS (not visited)
- Akumal – “place of turtles,” is a small beach-front town between Playa del Carmen and Tulum.
- Ek’ Balam is a pre-Columbian archaeological site in municipality of Temozón in Yucatán. The building were constructed by the Maya civilization. The site is located 30 km north of Valladolid, 2 km away from a small Mayan village by the same name. In the Yucatec Maya language the name means “Black Jaguar” – LocoGringo article
- Kantun-Chi Ecopark – photogallery – location
- Rio Lagartos is an extraordinary natural refuge famous for its pink flamingoes, a large variety of other species and an exuberant vegetation. It is located 52 km from Tizimin on federal highway 295 in the State of Yucatan – Yucatantoday article
- Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve is located in the southern part of the state of Quintana Roo
- Xel-Ha aquarium – homepage
- Xplor adventure park near Playa del Carmen – Rivieramaya.info article
- List of Mesoamerican pyramids
- Pyramid of the Magician at Uxmal Mexico
- Temple of the Inscriptions at Palenque Mexico
- Tikal Temple I Guatemala
- Tikal Temple V Guatemala
- List of megalithic sites of the World (A megalith is a large stone which has been used to construct a structure or monument, either alone or together with other stones).
- Architecture, Restoration, and Imaging of the Maya Cities of Uxmal, Kabah, Sayil, and Labna, documentation project by Prof. Charles Rhyne, Reed College